How to Find the Best Crating Company
A professional crating company can save you time, frustration, and money by expertly packaging your high-value and/or fragile goods so they can withstand the rigors of multi-channel transit.
In this article, you’ll learn how to find the best crating service to handle your unique freight shipping requirements.
Determine the Capabilities You Need
Different crating companies offer different specialty services, including assembly, decontenting, kitting, preservation, and warehousing. The type of service you need will depend on the industry you’re in. For example, contractors in the military/defense sectors may need preservation services and a crating company with prior military experience, as there are multiple rules and regulations that must be followed. Comparatively, manufacturers that produce consumer goods may have a higher need for kitting, especially if they offer subscription services or ready-to-go kits.
Before you search for a company, consider the following questions:
- What type of goods do you frequently ship?
- How many orders do you fulfill in one week?
- What federal regulations (regarding packaging and shipping) must you follow?
- What is your budget for packaging and transportation?
- Is sustainable packaging a must for your business?
- Do you ship bulky, fragile, sensitive, or irregular freight?
- Do you have warehousing/storage space to house packaged goods, or do you need a company to provide the storage space for you?
As previously mentioned, packaging requirements vary from industry to industry, so it’s important to work with a crating and packaging company that specializes in your particular area of trade—this is especially important for manufacturers in the military/defense, aerospace, and automotive industries, which have particularly stringent packaging and shipment requirements and regulations.
Export Packaging Experience
In addition to industry-specific regulations, there are country-specific rules and regulations that govern the transit of exported goods. Packaging requirements vary based on a package’s point of origin, final destination, and transportation method. If you commonly deal with international freight shipments, you need a packaging company with specialty knowledge of multi-country policies.
Customer Testimonials & Reviews
When selecting a crating company, it’s also essential to look at previous customers’ experiences by checking reviews and testimonials. Browsing third-party platforms like Google Business Profile, Yelp, or industry-specific directories can offer valuable insight into that company’s service quality, reliability, and professionalism.
Both positive and negative feedback provides a comprehensive understanding of the company’s strengths and areas for improvement. Does the company respond to negative feedback? How do they respond? Do their negative reviews outweigh the positive ones?
Asking the company for references from previous clients can further enhance your decision-making process, ensuring you choose a reputable and reliable company that caters to your needs.
Other Factors to Consider
Some other variables to consider when searching for a company include:
- Special Certifications & Experience: Do they have certifications? Examples of packaging certifications could include ISPM-15 and ISO 9001 certifications. What packaging codes have they stated that they’re familiar with? If they serve the military/defense sector, are they SAM-registered?
- Years of Experience: Are they an established business with a proven record of exceptional service?
- Competitive Pricing: How flexible is their pricing? Can they come up with cost-effective solutions for your unique needs?
- Capacity: Can the crating company efficiently handle your orders? Do they have volume limits?
Once you’ve carefully considered all the relevant factors, list your top three or five, schedule consultations with them, and compare their specific services/capabilities and pricing schedules.
Start Your Search With Export Corporation
Founded over 70 years ago, Export Corporation is an all-in-one tertiary packaging solutions provider specializing in custom wooden packaging, including crates and pallets. We serve clients across the United States in many industries, including aerospace, automotive, commercial, industrial, and military. We’re also ISO 9001 and ISPM-15-certified and ITAR- and SAM-registered. Please visit our website to read more about our past projects or contact us today to learn more about our services and capabilities.